If my grandma knew I'm putting her apple recipe on the internet, I'd be in trouble. She'd say she's embarrassed because it's the simplest pie recipe she's making.
I hate having to go through 15 paragraphs of text before getting to the actual recipe itself on various blogs so I'll spare you of that. :)
So what's this apple pie recipe I keep going on about that is always an amazing treat for guests?
Here's a little picture of the one I made for a Christmas gathering.
- 2-3 apples
- Half a glass sunflower oil (or any other vegetable oil - but not olive oil because you'll fill it in the taste - been there, done that!)
- A glass of sugar (can be demerara or brown or even coconut for health points)
- A glass of plain flour
- 5 eggs
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla
- 1 teaspoon of baking powder
- 1 teaspoon of cinnamon
- Lemon zest from half a lemon
- A handful of walnuts in small pieces
- A couple of teaspoons of icing sugar
- Pre-heat the oven to 160 degrees Celsius with the air module.
- Line an oven tray with baking paper.
- Spill a couple of drops of vegetable oil and spread throughout the whole bottom of the tray (on the baking paper).
- Finely cut the apples into small pieces and line them on the baking paper on the tray.
- In a bowl, add the sunflower oil, the eggs and the sugar. Whisk them together. Then slowly add the plain flower and whisk it together with the rest of the mixture. After you've added the flour, add the vanilla, baking powder, cinnamon, the zest and the walnuts. There you have your whole mixture.
- Fill the baking tray with the mixture right above the apple pieces.
- Put it in the oven for an hour. Just check that the apple pie is ready with the usual toothpick trick - if it comes out clean, it is ready.
- Once it's ready, turn it around so that the apples are on the upper side of the pie. Once it's at room temperature, dust it with icing sugar and if you'd like also some cinnamon.
Resist the temptation to eat it straight away as next day it will be even better. The apple juices will have been absorbed by the dough and it will be really amazing!
This will be enough for 10 people to have a piece. I sometimes also serve it with custard cream.